TERMS OF SERVICE – Updated November 4, 2012
Welcome to Teach Astronomy!
1. Accepting the Terms of Service
a. By using this website and any page contained within the http://teachastronomy.com domain, you agree to these terms of service (TOS).
b. The TOS are subject to change without notice to the user.
2. Website Content
a. All content contained within this website is subject to copyright by the owners of the subject material.
i. Using content directly from this website without proper citation is plagiarism and holds serious consequences in academia.
b. We do not guarantee 100 percent validity of any information presented on this website.
1. Content within Wikipedia is maintained by members of the public, and does not always contain citations from academic research.
ii. Astropedia and Video Clips
1. Content for Astropedia articles and the video lectures was created by Dr. Chris Impey (University of Arizona) and other professional astronomers. Most of this information is compiled from years of experience in the field of astronomy along with extensive research.
iii. Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)
1. Content for APOD is maintained by Dr. Robert Nemiroff (Michigan Tech University) and Dr. Jerry Bonnell (Universities Space Research Association).
2. Pictures and videos from APOD are subject to copyright by the image owners.
1. Content for APOD is maintained by Robert Hurt at IPAC/Caltech.
2. Images from AstroPix are in the public domain.
c. Any personal statements or opinions contained within this website are solely those of the developers, and not necessarily the views or opinions of The University of Arizona Astronomy Department or College of Science.
3. Software and services
a. Teach Astronomy makes use of many web technologies including: Wikipedia, YouTube, Apache Lucene, and Adobe Flash.
1. Wikipedia is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation.
2. Wikipedia content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License.
1. YouTube is a registered trademark of Google, Inc.
iii. Apache Lucene
1. Apache Lucene is a registered trademark of The Apache Software Foundation.
2. Apache software is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0, which is compatible with the GNU General Public License.
iv. Adobe Flash
1. Adobe Flash is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
1. SKY-MAP is maintained by the SKY-MAP.ORG team.
4. Privacy and personal information
a. Any personal information that the user shares with us is confidential and will never be distributed publicly.
b. Non-personal information, such as questions submitted to us via our feedback form, may be put on our FAQ page to help other users.
c. Cookies are used to help improve the quality of our website. Tracking cookies are not used to collect information about other websites in which the user browses.
d. Your activity within this website may be logged to help us improve our service. Information from these logs is confidential and will never be distributed publicly.
a. Teach Astronomy is not responsible for any losses or damages to the computer which is used to access our website as a result of using our service.
b. Teach Astronomy is not responsible for the validity of the Wikipedia or APOD content contained in our website.
c. Teach Astronomy shall not be held responsible for the grades of students who use our service for academic assignments. Our service is intended to be a tool to help students learn astronomy and see relations between topics.